Do you feel tired and irritable due to your sleep issues? You may benefit from a sleep study, a special test offered by your San Jose, CA neurologist and sleep medicine specialist , Dr. Raj Gupta of San Jose Pacific Neurology Center.
What is a sleep study?
As you probably guessed, a sleep study takes place while you sleep. Although most studies are performed at a special sleep facility, some sleep tests can be conducted at home. You'll arrive at the facility in the evening and sleep in a comfortable bed in a dark room During your study, electrodes attached to your head, chin, eyelids, chest and legs will measure:
- Heart rate
- Breathing rate
- Brain waves
- Blood oxygen level
- Eye and leg movements
Based on the results of your sleep study, your physician can recommend treatments and strategies that improve your sleep.
What sleep conditions can be diagnosed with sleep studies?
During your sleep study in San Jose, CA, your Sleep specialist physician may notice that you have one of these common sleep disorders:
- Sleep Apnea: People who have sleep apnea stop breathing many times during the night. Although these pauses only last seconds at a time, they deprive your brain of oxygen. In addition to feeling tired during the day, you may be at increased risk of developing high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and other conditions if you have untreated sleep apnea.
- Periodic Limb Movements: If you find your limbs jerking uncontrollably while you sleep, you might suffer from periodic limb movements. The movements can interfere with sleep if they happen often.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy causes you to fall asleep without warning during the day or suddenly feel very sleepy.
How can I tell if I need a sleep study?
Symptoms that could mean that you will benefit from a sleep study include:
- Loud snoring
- Gasping for air or choking while you sleep
- Daytime sleepiness
- Trouble concentrating or memory problems
- Headaches or dry or sore throat in the morning
- Feeling tired as soon as you wake up
- Falling asleep suddenly
Sleep problems don't have to disrupt your life. A sleep study performed at San Jose Pacific Neurology Center may provide the answer to your sleep issues. Call (408) 347-1600 or email [email protected] to schedule an appointment with Dr. Raj Gupta.